Canberra Railway Museum was established in 1967 as the Australian Railway Historical Society (ACT Division), and the museum site itself was founded in 1985. A collection was amassed of locomotives, rolling stock, and other railway artefacts, most of which had connections to the railway history of the ACT. From 1984 to 1988, ARHS ACT restored steam locomotive 1210 to working order, the locomotive having been plinthed outside Canberra Railway Museum since 1962. Other locomotives operated by the museum were C30 class 3102 and 3016, and the famous Beyer-Garratt 6029. From 1993 to 2006, ARHS ACT operated the Michelago Tourist Railway between Queanbeyan, Royalla and Michelago.
In 2016, ARHS ACT was closed, and in 2018 was succeeded by the not-for-profit company Capital Region Heritage Rail, with the assets now held by Heritage Rail Holdings. Canberra Railway Museum reopened to the public in October 2019 as a static museum, and is steadily working towards the resumption of heritage train operations. In May 2021, phase one of our museum revamp was completed with the repair and redecoration of our display area in the main building, and work is now well underway on phase two!
Board of Directors, Capital Region Heritage Rail
Jane Wheaton (Director), Colin Bridge (Deputy Director), Mick McCarthy (Secretary), John Cowper, Josh Beveridge, Ewout Rohling
Board of Directors, Heritage Rail Holdings
Andy Heys (Director), Glenn Bridgart, Richard Robinson, Tony Burns